ACM Celebration of Women in Computing in North America
The Registration Form for ACM Celebrations in the 2020-21 academic year is now available!
ACM Celebration of Women in Computing are events celebrating women who are working/studying within a particular geographical location – with locations that could be a single city, a state or group of states, a country, or several countries. These conferences build community and break down feelings of isolation. Our intent is to reach the broadest possible populations through an international network of self-sustaining small conferences, dovetailing when possible with ACM-W student and/or professional chapters.
Celebrations have been hosted across North America, including Puerto Rico, Canada, and the United States. If you are interested in hosting a Celebration, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to walk you through the process.
ACM-W provides $3,000 for each Celebration and also raises and disburses corporate sponsorship. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor for a Celebration, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Each celebration organizing committee is responsible for additional fundraising within their conference area. The goal is to keep the costs as low as possible for student attendees, with registration fees in the $0-$50 USD range.
In addition to sponsorship, ACM-W provides affiliated Celebrations the following support:
- Use of ACM RegOnLine and PayPal accounts
- ACM web site hosting for celebration site
- ACM will also hold conference funds, pay invoices, and review venue contracts
- Events that have undergone ACM contract review are covered by ACM’s liability insurance
- Access to sponsorship funds that have been raised by ACM-W
- ACM-W coordinates shipment of swag from industry sponsors, from ACM, and from ACM-W
- Advice and support from those who have organized events in the past
Not convinced yet? Check out…
Check out these additional resources:
- General information about the Celebrations project
- Regional Celebrations-in-a-Box: Connecting Communities of Technical Women (A resource developed with the National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT))
- 101 Ideas for Planning Celebrations
Process for starting an ACM-W Celebration
For more information about hosting a Celebration in North America, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for Celebrations
If you are interested in hosting or co-hosting a Celebration in your locale, we will work with you to ensure the following requirements are met:
- Must be at least one full day in length (preferably longer) and feature speakers or workshop leaders from diverse backgrounds
- Include attendees from a diverse population — that is, from more than one area or school
- Although all events are different, your event ideally should contain speakers, panels, workshops, a career fair and opportunities for student presentations
- Events must be branded with ACM in the title of your Celebration or as a subtitle. For example, “The ACM Northwest Celebration of Women in Computing” or “The Northwest Celebration of Women in Computing, An ACM Celebration”. This must be clearly indicated on your website and on promotional materials.
The ACM-W North America Celebrations Subcommittee can offer suggestions, encouragement, and support as you plan and run your Celebration.
For more information, please email us at email@example.com.